Toggle navigation »
Before the Company was established in 1929, the future status of air pilots and air navigators was very much in doubt. The small group of commercial pilots who formed the "Guild" were virtually responsible for ensuring that their successors enjoyed a professional status, and one of the Company's objectives has been to foster and improve that standing. From the beginning the Company was modelled on the lines of the old City Guilds and Livery Companies and its constitution and by-laws reflect that foundation, although its activities and work is very much contemporary.
The Company became a Livery Company of the City of London in 1956: a rarely bestowed mark of distinction. This was a great factor in increasing not only the influence of the Company, the 81st Livery Company to be formed in 800 years, but of the entire profession of pilot and navigator in the United Kingdom and overseas.
In 2014, it received a further mark of distinction in being granted a Royal Charter in the name of the Honourable Company of Air Pilots.
To order your copy of the History of the Guild of Air Pilots and Air Navigators (1965-2004), please follow this link to download and return the attached form, together with payment, to the Air Pilots' office at The Honourable Company of Air Pilots, Air Pilots House, 52A Borough High Street, London SE1 1XN
INCORPORATED BY ROYAL CHARTER
PATRON: HRH THE PRINCE PHILIP, DUKE OF EDINBURGH KG KT
GRAND MASTER: HRH THE PRINCE ANDREW, DUKE OF YORK KG GCVO
THE MASTER: MALCOLM G F WHITE OBE
CLERK: PAUL J TACON BA FCIS
© 2019 The Honourable Company of Air Pilots